Blog Post Assignment Due on Monday 6/29: Warm up for Dossier
Elizabeth Mahony and Rachel Nolan, “The Roots of La Sentencia,” Jacobin Magazine online (June 20, 2015)
[Text of annotation goes here]
[This is the image that originally accompanied the article on Jacobinmag.com]
Prompt: The blog post assignment is a sample of what one dossier case file will look like. It’s a chance to practice writing an annotation and to learn how to use Word Press.
1. Identify a contemporary issue in Latin America related to human rights & locate one relevant source about this issue. Newspapers (national and international), periodicals, blogs, activist/NGO reports, and government documents are all acceptable. Be creative.
2. Create a WordPress blog post on www.derechoslatinamerica.com
3. Provide a full citation for your source
4. Write a 200 to 300-word summary, accompanied by an image & the link to the original article.
Write a concise annotation (200-300 words) that summarizes, evaluates and reflects. The purpose of the annotation is to inform the reader of the relevance, accuracy, and quality of the source cited.
- The first paragraph should provide brief summary of the article, covering the main points and arguments made.
- The second paragraph points out the article’s strengths and evaluates its methods and presentation. Here you might comment on the authority or background of the author as well as the intended audience.
- The third paragraph reflects on the source’s potential importance or usefulness for your own research project.
5. Locate an image to accompany your entry. For articles, locate a photograph that is related to the article’s content. Write 2-3 sentences, identifying where you found the photograph, and justify why it is appropriate to accompany your entry.
6. Insert the link to the original story (if you found it online)
7. Add tags that highlight key subject headings or topics for your article.
8. Put your post in the correct category “Human Rights in the News”.
9. Select a featured image — you can use the same one from the body of your post
10. Publish your post on http://www.derechoslatinamerica.com